UNIVERSITY OF GHANA STAFF GAMES SET TO COMMENCE
The much awaited UG Staff Games is scheduled to kick start on Thursday, 13th July and end on Friday, 14th July, 2017.
This is in line with the University of Ghana Sports Directorate aim which seeks to enhance the fitness, health, well-being and holistic development of students, staff and the University Community, through organisation of worthwhile sporting and recreational activities. While this has been the Directorate’s mission and driving force, the UG Sports Directorate seeks to partner all stakeholders of UG for the 2017 UG Staff Games.
When and for Who
The games will be held at the UG Athletics Oval and Ajax 2 football field from Thursday, 13th July to Friday, 14thJuly, 2017 from 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m. (on 13th July, 2017) and 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (on 14th July, 2017). The games include Junior Staff, Senior Staff and Senior Members; both academic and administrative staff.
The theme for the 2017 Staff Games is “Recreation and Sports - The Backbone of a Healthy Community.”
Plans and Preparation
Plans and preparations for the 2017 UG Staff Games are far advanced as the Sports Directorate is duly supported by the Planning Committee for the 2017 UG Staff Games. The Planning Committee is chaired by Mr. Eric Sifa (Principal Teacher, UG Basic School) and is made up of representatives from twelve (12) identified teams from the various administrative and academic Units and Departments of the University. The Planning Committee is well supported by the Technical and Organising Sections of the Sports Directorate. Overall, twenty (20) member’s form the core of the Planning Committee for this year’s Staff Games.
What is New?
This year’s games features an interesting curtain raiser matches between University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG) and Ghana Association of University Administrators (GAUA) Legon branches. Also the Federation of Universities Senior Staff Associations of Ghana (FUSSAG) will face Teachers & Educational Workers' Union (TEWU) in what promises to be an exciting and mouthwatering display.
Participating Teams and Representatives
The representatives and participating teams of the various Departments and Units are as follows:
- Balme Library --- (Chris Bubuamah - 0243586647)
- College of Basic and Applied Science --- (Sumaila Issah - 0243372964)
- College of Education/Counseling and Placement Center --- (Ali Bernard - 0542879410)
- College of Health Science --- (Dominic Gyamfi 0574999588/ 0263396636)
- College of Humanities --- (Gabby Geker - 0241975858)
- Halls of Residence --- (Socrate K. Bankas - 0242203666 / Albert A. Agnmor – 0264389584)
- Physical Development and Municipal Services Dire’te --- (Esperanza N. S Adjin-Tettey - 0264586125)
- Registry --- (Isaac Asare - 0247580677)
- Security Services --- (Isaac K. Ansah – 0247580677)
- Sports Directorate --- (Abdul-Rahman Iddrisu – 0245384813)
- University of Ghana Computing Systems --- (Anthonio E. Desmond - 0249291292)
- University of Ghana Basic School --- (Mr. Leslie Darko - 0244409791)
- University of Ghana Health Directorate --- (Hospital) (Offei Addison - 0244652822)
The various disciplines for the games include; Athletics, Bend ball, Football, Goal ball, Table Tennis, Tug of Peace, Volleyball, and Indoor Games (Cards, Chess, Draught, Ludo, Monopoly, Oware, Scrabble).
The Director of Sports, Dr. Bella Bello Bitugu emphasized the importance of the games and the need for all Staff of the University to participate;
“This is a worthwhile event to bring UG family together and foster healthy and quality relationship among colleagues.”
Speaking to Mr. Eric Sifa (Chairman, 2017 UG Staff Games Organizing Committee) about the organization so far, this is what he said;
“I must say this year’s games will be different from what we have witnessed in the past. We can see some innovations which include the curtain raiser matches between UTAG and GAUA as well as FUSSAG and TEWU. The objective for the games is to fraternize amongst ourselves as Staff of this University, keep fit to ensure we have a healthy workforce and network. ”
He entreated all Staff to come out in their numbers to participate to continue to build the culture of unity and spirit of togetherness as we forge ahead as one people to ensure the University achieves its aims and objectives.